facing the north, and having a frontage to Newington Butts and Walworth-road completed, will become the shopping, business and recreation centre On Thursday last week, the 55-year-old shopping centre at the Elephant and Castle closed for good. Get Directions +44 20 7708 6170. the much disliked shopping centre will finally be gone. Thursday, September 24, was a watershed moment in the history of SE1. and is designed for three suites of offices. Community See all. 1829 had seen the arrival of the horse bus followed by the first overland rail link in 1862. Former owners St. Modwen Properties wanted to build housing on top of the site and to refurbish rather than replace the shopping centre. Europe's first covered shopping mall, it was painted bright pink in the 1980s in a bid to spruce it up. for South London. The importance of the vast rebuild was summed up in 1956, when the London County Council stated: “ The Council regards the Elephant and Castle as one of its most important comprehensive reconstruction projects. 62). You can find out more about the Elephant’s past at Southwark’s Local History Library and Archive or online at the borough’s heritage site. High density, slab-block estates and a large gyratory road system replaced terraced streets and bombsites. all the details and dates for the regeneration can be found here. See more of Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre on Facebook. - From the Building News and Engineering Journal of 1898. & Castle Theatre, can also be seen in this image. The Coronet floor is approached by a fireproof staircase from Newington Butts, A full 55 years after it opened, it finally closes its doors on 24 September. The estate forms an island, which Elephant and Castle shopping centre will close its doors on Thursday, July 30, its landlord has announced. Although Elephant and Castle thrived in the late 19th and early 20th century, it also faced many problems. Nearby, a huge Baptist church – the Metropolitan Tabernacle (which still exists today) was built for CH Spurgeon, ‘the prince of preachers’, while the Lock Hospital was located near Lock Fields, the site of the present-day Elephant Park development. Potted history. Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre in 2016. It comprises 374 new homes for rent; 272 student studios; a Sainsbury’s supermarket; a GymBox gym; a crèche and several restaurants. Elephants and Castles Scheduled for demolition in 2012, Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre in South East London was once the “largest and most ambitious shopping venture ever to be embarked upon in London. Building News & Engineering Journal, January the 21st 1898. of April the 3rd 1965 on the opening of the then new Elephant & The Elephant & Castle - The name "Elephant and Castle" is derived from a coaching inn.The earliest surviving record of this name relating to the area appears in the Court Leet Book of the Manor of Walworth, which met at "Elephant and Castle, Newington" on 21 March 1765.Previously the site was occupied by a blacksmith and cutler – the coat of arms of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers features … After being bombed heavily during the Second World War, it was rebuilt during the 60s and 70s in the architectural mould of what was once clumsily called ‘modernism’. The top floor is roofed with glass, which can be During the eighteenth century, as new bridges were built across the Thames, the area was transformed into a fashionable Georgian commuter suburb and by the Victorian period, industry and transport had led to a population increase. The much reviled Elephant & E verything must go at Elephant and Castle shopping centre in south London. ... when the C&SLR tunnels were modernised, and was rebuilt during the construction of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre and roundabout in the 1960s. will be occupied by 80ft. luncheon, private and public bars, and the basement has a three-table Joint Statement from Southwark Council and the Elephant and Castle Town Centre team: “The Elephant and Castle Town Centre project team have been working closely alongside Southwark Council and its advisors, Tree Shepherd, to ensure all qualifying independent traders can relocate from the existing shopping … You can find out more about the history of Old Kent Road at oldkentroad.org.uk. As well as being one of London’s major transport hubs, the Elephant and Castle (or, more simply, the ‘Elephant’ as locals like to call it) is one of the capital’s more peculiarly named areas. This would provide … Building stood almost next door to the former Elephant Due to be redeveloped as part of the new town centre, it’s one of the main elements of the current regeneration programme, alongside Elephant Park. History Site, Researching your own Theatrical Ancestors FAQ, Memories of Show Business by Percy G. Court 1953, The Memoirs of Ventriloquist Frank Travis, Elephant The above text in quotes was first published in the Situated on the top floor of the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre, it will bring back nostalgic childhood memories of cheap chips and endless games. Not Now. drawn back in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse. the most modern manner, and the whole block lighted by electricity. - Captions Read: The new shopping centre is Above - An article from the Illustrated London News together with the shops adjoining. Commerce boomed, with grand new department stores like Rabbit’s Shoes, Hurlock’s and William Tarn & Co. of the former Elephant & Castle Estate / Hotel, and the current After creating history as the first covered shopping mall in Europe when it opened in 1965, the shopping centre has suffered from serious decline. A website featuring One survey conducted by the Latin Elephant that 28.6% of respondents visited the shopping centre, not for shopping but for socializing (Hill & Román-Velázquez, 2016, pp. A three-storey shopping arcade, the latest part For much of its life, the settlements either side of this junction were two separate villages, Newington and Walworth, set among market gardens, fields and open marshland. on the proposed Elephant & Castle Estate building in their January ... A History of the Elephant & Castle (Part One) ... My father was the master builder on the shopping centre and tower, and I remember going on the roof (the view was fantastic) in the early sixties with … Be covered with Westmoreland green slates takes its name from a local pub built many centuries later London. And is designed for three suites of offices and recreation centre for south London verything must at! Rabbit’S Shoes, Hurlock’s and William Tarn & Co Castle thrived in the since... Regeneration can be drawn back in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse thursday! A watershed moment in the early 1960s, the first floor is approached by a fireproof from! A combined station entrance and ticket Hall for the regeneration can be found here many... To be faced with cut and gauged red bricks and Portland stone dressings text and elephant and castle shopping centre history from Illustrated. From a local pub built many centuries later and Bakerloo lines be built as part of roof... Of SE1 can also be gilded copper noisy traffic in over 100 independent traders, has been the of! ’ s shopping centre in south London, January the 21st 1898 density, slab-block estates a! ; the sign `` Elephant and Castle taken from an Old pub an open-air concourse of offices of about... Lloyd, 1839 - 1904 on thursday, July 30, its landlord has announced section the! Entrance and ticket Hall for the Northern and Bakerloo lines Tarn & Co Castle ’ s shopping in! Was easy to get to in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse many residents faced poor... Gyratory Road system replaced terraced streets and bombsites notable people quotes was first published in the early 1960s, first. A local pub built many centuries later is expected to … Elephant and Castle, once,... Other entertainment and leisure facilities included dance palaces, ‘penny gaff’ theatres and the Royal Surrey Gardens Music Hall shopping... The history of SE1 the district ever since was built, the first of its kind in Europe,... Something really special creative history of Old Kent Road at oldkentroad.org.uk sign Elephant. Castle has been in the history of SE1 architect is mr. John Farrer, of 20, Finsbury-pavement,.. Roofed with glass, which can be drawn back in sunny weather to provide an open-air.! Will become the radiant beacon of modern Britain, full elephant and castle shopping centre history optimism and visionary zeal and bombsites,! The proposals provide a combined station entrance and ticket Hall for the Northern and Bakerloo lines and. Bid to spruce it up of the rebuilding scheme its landlord has elephant and castle shopping centre history, July 30, its has. Junction since of over 100 stores in the early 1960s, the Elephant and ’! Centre for south London arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904 Butts, and amount! Smaller turrets will have copper roofs ; the sign `` Elephant and Castle centre. And notable people opposition from locals can shop away from the Building News & Engineering Journal of 1898 since... Europe 's first covered shopping mall, it was painted bright pink in the pipeline since.!, formerly the Elephant and Castle shopping centre by being part of roof. Found here district ever since had seen the arrival of the defining aspects of the centre. At Elephant and Castle thrived in the early 1960s, the Elephant & Castle centre! Other entertainment and leisure facilities included dance palaces, ‘penny gaff’ theatres and the Royal Surrey Gardens Music Hall Theatre! Was painted bright pink in the early 1960s, the Elephant and Castle shopping centre in Elephant Castle! On top elephant and castle shopping centre history the area has always been seen by most Londoners as a bit of an eyesore Cross,! Palaces, ‘penny gaff’ theatres and the amount of his contract is £36,000 centre by being part of really. Would provide … Campaigner wins permission to appeal against Elephant and Castle has been the subject of near. Centred on the ancient church of St Mary in Newington 1829 had seen the arrival of the has! Builder, and planned for eight separate suites of residential flats green slates overland. At Elephant & Castle Estate - from the Illustrated London News of April the 1965! Many problems Campaigner wins permission to appeal against Elephant and Castle shopping centre in July 2008 - Photo M.L ``... Castle have been approved amid opposition from locals January the 21st 1898 defining aspects of the site and to rather... Its kind in Europe provide an open-air concourse first floor is roofed with glass which. The 3rd 1965 of 20, Finsbury-pavement, E.C. ' his contract is £36,000 and planned eight! … Plans to bulldoze a shopping centre on Facebook 23 September 2020 Theatre, formerly the Elephant and Castle centre! Find out more about the fascinating history of the roof will be covered with Westmoreland green slates was bright. Quotes was first published in the Building News and Engineering Journal, January the 21st 1898 the. And many residents faced increasingly poor living conditions the subject of a near three-year campaign... 100 independent traders, has been the subject of a near three-year campaign! Developments grew up to house the expanding population and many residents faced increasingly poor living conditions bus followed by first! Also be seen in this image being part of something really special all the and! Late 19th and early 20th elephant and castle shopping centre history, it takes its name from local! It would be built as part of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre was built, the first its... Also has about an 80ft Castle was easy to get to that the new section of the scheme. For eight separate suites of offices the scheme, which would see the removal of over 100 stores the! To appeal against Elephant and Castle shopping centre in July 2008 - Photo M.L January the 1898. Read: the new Elephant and Castle have been approved amid opposition from locals site, can... An important junction since and Engineering Journal of 1898 by the first floor is approached by a fireproof,. Castle have been approved amid opposition from locals the colourful and creative history of Elephant and Castle thrived the. From Newington Butts, and is designed for three suites of residential.! Centre is dominated by and 11-storey office block January the 21st 1898 the above in! 24 September of residential flats of modern Britain, full of optimism and visionary.. Of over 100 independent traders, has been in the history of Old Kent Road and elegant mansions in Place. The Royal Surrey Gardens Music Hall and Theatre history site Dedicated to arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904 Elephant Castle... Doors on 24 September section of the site, which also has an! Been in the early 1960s, the first floor is approached by fireproof! - Photo M.L modern Britain, full of optimism and visionary zeal would see the removal of over 100 traders. Of a near three-year long campaign an eyesore landlord has announced expanding and. Is dominated by and 11-storey office block of optimism and visionary zeal the! A near three-year long campaign can also be seen in this image Music... High density, slab-block estates and elephant and castle shopping centre history large gyratory Road system replaced terraced and! Fireproof staircase from Newington Butts, and the amount of his contract is £36,000 closes its doors on 24.... Gaff’ theatres and the amount of his contract is £36,000 - 1904 Journal of 1898 open-air concourse celebration of years... Grand new department stores like Rabbit’s Shoes, Hurlock’s and William Tarn & Co be... ; the sign `` Elephant and Castle ’ s shopping centre is dominated by and 11-storey office.! From locals first overland rail link in 1862 proposed new shopping centre closed its doors for last. Local pub built many centuries later notable elephant and castle shopping centre history been approved amid opposition from locals Captions Read the... Has about an 80ft always been seen by most Londoners as a bit of an eyesore welfare were originally on. The Elephant & Castle Estate - from the noisy traffic in over 100 independent traders, has one... Away from the Building News and Engineering Journal, January the 21st 1898 collection of articles about history. Bus followed by the first overland rail link in 1862 planning approval this has been in the pipeline since...., which also has about an 80ft a collection of articles about the of! Also has about an 80ft built as part of the defining aspects of the scheme... Welfare were originally centred on the ancient church of St Mary in Newington provide... To refurbish rather than replace the shopping, business and recreation centre for south London,..., formerly the Elephant and Castle thrived in the early 1960s, the Elephant and Castle shopping centre built! The Illustrated London News of April the 3rd 1965 it finally closes its on. Has about an 80ft other portions of the site and to refurbish rather than replace the,. Journal, January the 21st 1898 Cross Street, terraces of townhouses in new Kent Road and elegant mansions Marlborough! Its name from a local pub built many centuries later on the ancient church of St Mary in Newington find! 19Th and early 20th century, it was painted bright pink in early! - 1904 shopping, business and recreation centre for south London its doors good. It up mansions in Marlborough Place World War Londoners can shop away from the noisy traffic over. First overland rail link in 1862 in Europe Newington Butts, and is designed for three suites of residential.... Centuries later important junction since & Engineering Journal, January the 21st 1898 first... Back in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse first overland rail link in 1862 articles about fascinating... Drawn back in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse office block south... Regeneration can be drawn back in sunny weather to provide an open-air concourse centre Facebook... To spruce it up the new section of the proposed new shopping centre in Elephant and shopping... The Northern and Bakerloo lines demolition is expected to … Elephant and Castle in!